Monday, November 15, 2010

City Life


As Yogi said, it gets late early out there. About six o' clock this evening, Jackson and I were walking down a dark street alongside the highway. As we neared the corner, I saw a couple of young guys across the street doing something at the back of a van. Maybe something sketchy. My internal alarms starting ringing. I had a few seconds to decide whether I should cross normally, turn the corner and avoid them, or maybe even grab my phone and report a vehicle break-in.

I decided they were unpacking the van, nothing more, nothing wrong. We crossed over to them. I said hi as we passed. They said hi back. A few seconds later, one of them said "Cool dog." I said thanks as we walked away.

We were maybe 50 feet away when one of them yelled, "You want some dog food?" He explained that he and his friend worked in an organic dogfood factory, that they got all kinds of free samples, that they would be happy to give us some.

By this time, we were all standing together, and they were loving Jackson up. From his reaction, they were good with dogs, and that dogfood factory smell probably didn't hurt.

I passed on the dogfood, because Jackson can react badly to changes in diet. But we got a consolation prize. One guy went into his house and came back out with a remarkable goodie box: kangaroo chews, shark cartilage (outdoors only, because it makes a mess), cow bones stuffed with sweet potato, and some sweet potato chips. Jackson scored a little chip right away in return for his one trick, a sit. The walk home was a more-or-less continuous clumsy dance as I tried to keep him away from the rest of the box.

These generous guys work for Best Bully's Bully Sticks. Go spend all your money there ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment